Mastectomy for breast cancer can be devastating for many women. Breast reconstruction not only restores a physical breast mound for the woman, it also facilitates the healing process by improving her body image and self-confidence, hence improving psychological recovery.
Fat grafting, or autologous fat transfer, is a breast reconstruction technique that involves harvesting fat from other parts of the body — usually the abdomen or thighs — via liposuction.
The processed fat is then reinjected into the chest to recreate an ideal breast size and shape.
As a cosmetic procedure, fat grafting in Singapore is more suited for those who are looking for more minor breast enhancements, which may involve simply correcting a breast’s shape, position and symmetry. It is also considered as a natural alternative to breast implants, though fat transfer in Singapore may be performed alongside implant insertion in a hybrid procedure.
Surgical Options for Breast Enhancement
- Implant-based breast reconstruction after complete mastectomy
- Tissue transfer (autologous) breast reconstruction after complete mastectomy
- Sensory innervation of tissue transfer (autologous) breast reconstruction
- Partial breast reconstruction
- Delayed breast reconstruction
- Fat grafting / fat transfer
- Contralateral breast surgery to improve symmetry after mastectomy
- Breast lift
- Breast reduction
Factors to consider in choosing the best option
As a female plastic surgeon with a sub-specialty training in breast reconstruction, Dr Ong not only carries out the demanding technical requirements of breast reconstructive surgery well, she can also relate to her female patients, providing them with the comprehensive care and support that they need.